The Final Word Less One - on any subject anywhere any time that the author finds interesting -

Saturday, December 3, 2011

In support of "Happy Holidays"

I have some dear friends who are Christians who have requested that I not use the greeting "Happy Holidays" on the grounds that it is "politically correct". They have requested I use "Merry Christmas" instead.

My response is "Hello?"

I've never used "Happy Holidays" to be politically correct. I've used it because my company has instructed me to use the more inclusive greeting in phone interactions with clients. I've also used it as shorthand for: "Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!"

The end of the year is crammed with festivals and celebrations from many cultures and religions. I don't think it is wrong to say "Happy Holidays!" in the spirit of peace on earth and goodwill to all humanity. "Happy Holidays" not only covers Christmas but New Years Day -- a day important to me for quiet reflection, to acknowledge the changes of the previous year and to embrace the possibilities of the next.

If you say "Merry Christmas!" to me, I'll thank you for the good wishes and respond in kind. If you say "Happy Holidays" I'll thank you for the good wishes and respond in kind. If you wish me "Happy Hanukkah" or "Happy Kwanzaa", I'll respond in kind. But if you wish me "Happy Eid-ul-Adha" I'll look at you oddly because that was last month. If you want to wish me "Happy Ashura", you've got until  Monday Dec 5th in the Middle East and Tuesday Dec 7 in North America. Al-Hijra/Muharram is still going on, having started on Nov 26 and ending on Dec 24. (All these dates are 2011.) Rohatsu as the very name implies is celebrated on December 8th.

All of these holidays are important to someone. Most involve a serious religious purpose and are not occasions to shop and spend money. Christmas has almost become a universal holiday being celebrated wherever department stores are present. I sympathize with my Christian friends who would like to put the religion back in their holiday. The best way to do that is to emulate Christ and I strongly believe that Christ would not bite my head off if I wished him "Happy Holidays".

This is the first blog of Christmas.

The 2nd Blog of Christmas - The Tree ?